Sometimes having too much data can be as big a problem as too little data. Filtering your survey results provides you with a way to look at a specific slice of your data. Sometimes this is all you need to spot patterns or actionable information.
We currently have two main types of filters: Response and Attribute. A Response filter lets you only see those results where the respondent chose a specific answer to one of your questions. As a result, this filter only works with questions where the user has to click on a button or a check-box.
We offer a number of different Attribute filters for you to choose from:
whether the respondents have finished taking the survey or not
whether the respondents have finished taking the survey before, after a certain time or between two times
whether the respondents have started taking the survey before, after a certain time or between two times
what IP address did the respondents use
It's important to understand that each survey can have one or many filters. The bundle of filters is called a "Filter Collection". You can also have multiple filter collections if you wish. You can add, delete or modify your filter(s) or collection(s) at any time.
Example: Response filter
- The first step in creating a filter is to click on the "Filter" button from the survey "Reporting" page. This opens the "Filter Collections" window and shows you any filter collections you have already created.
- Click on "Add/Edit" to create a new filter collection.
Give your new filter collection a descriptive name.
- Under "Filter by" click on the "Select type" dropdown menu and select the "Response" filter category.
Next, choose the question you would like to filter by. Remember that only those questions where the user has to click on a button or a check-box are available.
Select the operator: equals, is not equal to
Choose the question answer you'd like to filter by.
- Click the green "Add Filter" button to add this new filter to your current filter collection. Your newly created filter will move to the bottom half of the screen that shows you all of the filters that are part of this collection. To the right of each filter are "Edit" and "Delete" buttons if you wish to modify or remove a filter.
- Click "Close" to return to the Reporting page and see your filters in action. The active filter collections are shown in yellow at the top of each Reporting page to remind you that you are only seeing a portion of the full survey responses.
Note: Filter collections can be turned on or off in the "Filter Collections" window without you having to delete them. This way you can create multiple filters and use them whenever you want to and turn them off when you want to see the full data view.